Monday, October 12, 2009

A dream within a dream by Edgar Allan Poe


Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow-
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?



 lovely... makes me realize how one can be as tiny as a grain of sand, yet however hopeful and trying we might be to hold on to that single grain, the wave will still took it back... Funny how hard we try to tighten our grip, knowing the force would leave our hand wounded. Yet, we grasp, with all the force we have.




1 comment:

  1. Wow. This stuff is very powerful. Very profound. I like it! ^_^

    ReplyDelete